Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Quilts in Use V


My little girl is home from school today as her Thanksgiving holiday starts. She came out to snuggle with me on the couch pretty early this morning & ended up falling asleep there for another little while.

Despite appearances, this quilt is technically still a WIP. I made the decision to hand quilt it last year, when I was apparently under delusions about my actual free time for such things. The blocks are supposed to look like this:


with the quilting going in both directions. The quilt laid there on a dresser in my living room for about a year with me only getting around to a line or two every few weeks. At that rate, I would be able to use the quilt in 2015. I got sick of looking at it in its unfinished state and decided to go ahead & bind it. It's mostly done, but some of the blocks in 2 corners still look like this:


with the quilting only going in one direction. I *can* finish the hand quilting even though it's bound, but time will tell if that actually happens.

I ended up liking this quilt much better than I thought I would. The fabric was crazy cheap at Joann's and I basically just bought it for the price. Once I got it all together though, I love how bright & cheerful it is. It was my first attempt at a double hourglass, and I was blown away by how very well they came together. The entire quilt just has perfectly matched seams - it makes me look like some kind of expert quilter, when in fact, it's just an easy block to line up.

I'm off to rush through some work in the hopes of having some time to spend with this little girl this afternoon. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. The quilt looks great and she looks so cute all snuggled up in it!

    ReplyDelete