Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fresh from the dryer

I finished my Granny Squares quilt on Monday:


I quilted straight lines in both directions, 3 in each block. So, it's pretty loosely quilted. Nice and soft.


I used a re-purposed sheet for the back:


Also nice and soft. And I bound it with Kona navy.


This was my first quilt using pre-washed fabrics, so I decided to pre-wash the batting as well. That worked beautifully. I soaked it in the washer, put it thru the spin cycle and just put it in the dryer. I don't mind telling you that it made me nervous. But it held up great, seemed softer for the pre-wash, and I sure didn't mind smelling it the whole time I was quilting & binding:)

I'm still really loving this pattern, but next time I will make the center square a 3rd fabric instead of just using 2 fabrics per block. Give it more dimension. The only regret I have on this quilt is that I didn't use setting blocks in the sashing. Some blocks are slightly off as a result, luckily only one bad enough to really notice. Setting blocks would have insured better alignment.

This quilt is for a friend undergoing radiation - I understand that makes you very tired. I'll be calling his wife today to see when I can deliver it. I hope it brings him some comfort in the upcoming weeks.


1 comment:

  1. This is perfect! I still have a Granny Square quilt on my to do list for Christmas. Yikes! I too am using a sheet for the back, it's so much easier than piecing together something! Great job!

    ReplyDelete