Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

In the nick of time

Still warm from the dryer, here's the finished quilt for Athena:


Do you remember my proclamation last fall, the one where I swore I would never quilt a quilt in concentric squares again? My exact words were: "I will not squeeze, push, pull, tug a quilt of any size thru the throat of my machine 2 complete turn per square EVER AGAIN." Well, I did squeeze, push, pull, and tug plenty on this, but it was circles rather than squares. Not sure why I thought that would make a difference. 


I tried repeatedly to come up with any other design, but those flowers just wanted circles around them. They just wouldn't have it any other way. And then I got the idea of more circles in the negative space creating those orange peel-like shapes around the flowers. So, turn the quilt we did. 50 times. I think I was in too much of a rush to notice how unpleasant it was. 

I bound it with leftover fabrics from the front. I just picked the ones that went the best with the colors on the back. 

I really like everything about this quilt, and I can easily see me doing another one someday. Just not in 2 weeks:)


Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for her Finish it Friday series. 

9 comments:

  1. Love it! I adore the binding and the quilting is just fabulous! Great idea with the circles and they turned out so well! I'm glad you finished in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooooo cute! I love the quilting too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding finish! Patience rewards when you grit your teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting you chose is PERFECT! Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am so with you on the quilting!!! But obviously your memory has not been functioning well!! I absolutely adore this quilt. Amazing, incredible, what planning and to have the opposite cut out flower. You should win awards for this. One of the things that is great is that it is different to a lot of quilts you see. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right...those flowers did need circles! Great job. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what a beauty! Great job! Love the quilt design and your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This really is an amazing quilt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stumbled across this page on Pinterest. I have also pinned it. What a darling design!

    ReplyDelete