Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It's a wonder I function in society

I had it in my mind that Meighan was coming home this Saturday. Maybe because she originally planned to and then changed her mind? Maybe because I'm in a hurry to get her here?

As I thought about Meighan's little three-year-old daughter, Athena, leaving behind her daddy and brother (just for a couple of months while the brother finishes the school year), and the only grandmother and home she's ever known, spending a whole day traveling, and coming to a strange place with strange people, I started wondering if there was anything at all I could do to make the transition easier for her. My first thought was to have my daughter pick out a toy to give her when she gets here, but of course, I also thought of a quilt. I tried for 4 days to talk myself out of the incredible rush of making an entire quilt in about a week, but as I was driving Friday, I remembered this quilt I'd seen on Pinterest. Such a simple quilt as that could be made in a week, couldn't it? It wasn't long before I was in Hobby Lobby gathering a small stack of solids, plus some flannel for the back. Not only is our climate much cooler than she is used to, but they will be sleeping in our den which is cooler than the upstairs. Plus, when it comes to something comforting, you just can't beat a flannel backed quilt! 

So I spent all day Saturday making the background blocks, and making the petals with Wonder Under attached. Then I spent all day Sunday attaching the petals with a machine blanket stitch. Then I spent all day Monday putting the little yellow circles in the center of the flowers, assembling the top, and making the back. (In the interest of simplicity and time, I decided to forgo the stems and leaves you see in the original.) 

Meighan sent me a message Monday morning that said something about Friday, so here I was with a quilt that had to be basted, quilted, and bound and I was going to have one less day to do all that than I was expecting! Plus, since I quilted absolutely all weekend, my house was a disaster, I still had some shopping to do before they got here, and Tuesday - Friday are my work days. Panic was setting in. 

When my husband got home, I mentioned that Meighan was going to be here this Friday at noon and he seemed surprised. He said "I thought she was going to wait until the middle of the month." I said "the 12th?" He said, this Friday isn't the 12th. That required a quick check of my phone to verify, and sure enough, this Friday isn't the 12th. During my extreme relief at having a whole other week to complete my project, I decided to re-read her message to make sure I got the date right. Wanna read it? 

"Plane tickets booked! I'll be leaving here 4/12 at 3:00pm, and arriving in Chattanooga 4/13 at 11:53am."

Not only did I get the week wrong, I got the day wrong as well - she is getting here on a Saturday. And that, ladies, is what happens when I try to process information before taking my ADD meds. 

But you don't care about all that, do you? You want to see the quilt top!




Isn't that adorable! I just love it. I think, especially for such a young child, that I like it even better without the stems and leaves. 

So. The back. It was supposed to have been an ice cream cone print that used a lot of purple only slightly lighter than the purple I intended to bind this with. 





Except I somehow cut it wrong! I bought 2 yards, which was just enough for the 50" x 60" top. I cut a piece big enough to go across the back, and then I was to cut the rest lengthwise and sew them together to add to the bottom. Somehow, I got confused and cut it width of fabric so the resulting strip was about 5" too short. 

Then, and only then, did I remember some great flannel I had picked up on clearance last year. And check this out, it matches better anyway!




They're not super noticeable from any distance, but it even has blue dots as the center of the flowers that go great with the blue in the quilt: 




I managed to cut this one correctly, but will probably change my binding plans since this backing doesn't have any purple. I've already cut purple strips for the binding, but I guess I'll just find another use for those. I somehow cut out extra blocks of every color & white anyway, so maybe they'll go with those. I consider the backing a happy accident because I'm much happier with this backing anyway. 

But this, ladies, is one example of what happens when I quilt after my ADD meds have worn off. I'm telling you, I don't even know how I've come this far in life without them. 

What are you working on this week?

Linking up to Freshly Pieced for her WIP Wednesday, Quilt Story for her Fabric Tuesday, and Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it Friday. Lots of fun linking parties! 

20 comments:

  1. I love your quilt, its so fun and bright! Just look how well you perform under pressure ;) Now you can take it easy for that "extra" week

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ordeal! Your quilt looks great and I agree, perfect for a little girl. I like the new backing too! Good luck getting it done in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so neat looking. I can't believe you did all that in the amount of time you had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH WOW! You have another week yippee! Such a pretty,pretty quilt. She is going to fall in love with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous quilt. I love the pattern and the colours. Beautiful work that is well worth the effort you have put in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt! I love how bright and cheerful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This flower quilt is an absolute beauty. My mom and I just love it to bits!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun quilt and story, I love it. The second backing is way better. Good luck with getting it all pulled together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear that everything worked out in the end! Sounds like there were some stressful moments ;-) the quilt is very cute, you did a great job on those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is beautiful - I'm sure it will be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is better than the original! I cannot believe you made that so fast. Great job, so cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is so cute! Where did you say the pattern was? I love this! Project Linus would love this too! Great job. Glad you have a bit more time. K-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a few years older than 'a young girl' and I would LOVE this quilt!!! It's Stunning!!! I can't imagine all the work you put into it.
    I am completely in awe of this creation!!
    xo
    eva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful quilt top. It is perfect for a day like today - we are finally seeing spring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, how I love your quilt top and backing! I can't wait to see what you do for the quilting...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an amazing quilt, an inspiration for any quilter- beginner or advanced. Looking forward to see how you quilt it- I admire your patience to mark the top! I use ultra-washable pens for kids for marking - they are cheap and come in all the colors.

    ReplyDelete