Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Preparing for Tommy

You know Athena has a brother, right? His name is Tommy. He and his dad will be joining us after the school year ends.

My original plan for his quilt was to copy some zig zags that my friend Mandy made for her boys. I'm not sure why she never posted these on her blog, because they are awesome quilts. In looking for my notes on how to make hers, I ran across a pattern I had been playing with last year and decided to go with it instead. When I was working with it then, I all but abandoned the idea as I couldn't quite figure out how to make it work. Whether it was taking my eyes off it for a while, or an extra year of experience, it clicked with me almost as soon as I opened it.

So, it's with a little bit of apprehension, and a whole lot of excitement, that I present my first original quilt design:


And I did it with no partial seams. It's curious to me that I've only made 3 quilts completely out of solids, and all three have been for this one family. Odd, huh?

Meighan and Athena are settling in nicely. Meighan had a heck of a week her first week - she had to buy a car, get insurance, find a pre-school, buy some new work clothes, get her drivers license, and take the drug test for her new job. Doesn't that just make you tired to think about?

I'll be linking this up to Crazy Mom Quilts for her Finish it Friday series.

8 comments:

  1. A wonderful original quilt. I'm glad you came back to it after taking time off. Sure that time away made it spring to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool quilt! Great pattern you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! This would be fun in so many colour combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fantastic quilt! I absolutely love the design. It's really cool and unique. What did you mean by not having any partial seams?

    -Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! I just love the color choice and the design is stunning. You totally need to get that published for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete