Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Look what I did today!

A few months ago, I found this lovely fabric on the clearance rack at Joanns.



And I'd always admired the quilt made from striped fabric in the banner on Red Pepper Quilts (bottom row, in the middle), so I started searching for other stripes every time I'd go out.

I was pleased and surprised to find so many with that peachy/pink color.



I'm not sure about the one on the far right, and the latest addition, the second one from the left, is introducing a couple of blues that I'd love to see more of in the quilt, so this is not the final stack. But I've been wondering since I started how hard it was going to be - if I was going to be able to do it all.

My power went out today, right in the middle of me working, so instead of sitting in a dark house with nothing to do, I gathered these up and headed to my friend Mandy's house. Somehow, we managed to share an iron and a sewing machine while I worked on these and she pieced rows of a quilt she is making for her son.

The fruits of my labor:



Aren't they stunning? I just love them! And getting the stripes to line up was much easier than I was expecting. I had read that you might want to use a walking foot, and somewhere someone suggested temporary glue rather than pins - I just stuck a few pins in, sewed very slowly and didn't have any problems at all. I can't wait to find a few more fabrics with the blue and make more of these. I think it's going to be a beautiful quilt. I have no idea what size I'm aiming for, or even where it will live when I'm done - I'm just making it because it's fun. Isn't that what it's all about?


1 comment:

  1. Those blocks look really good and will make a great quilt when put together. (my first comment said the same thing, but I dropped some words and didn't realize until after publishing. I didn't know how to edit my comment. sorry)

    ReplyDelete